In August 1920, the War Office in London presented a certificate of thanks as a permanent record for the part that the house had played. Monmouth Red Cross Hospital (as the building was know) had been pivotal in caring for sick and wounded British troops in the Great War of 1914 – 1918.
The certificate was signed by Sir Winston Churchill and takes pride of place in our hallway today.
Following the war, the house became the property of a Miss G.M. Griffin MCSP. Miss Griffin along with Miss Hayward, both physiotherapists, lived at Parade House and ran a successful practice there. The house then passed onto Mr. Griffin, a hotelier.
It was subsequently sold in 1986 to its present owner Maureen Rayner and her late husband Bill. Maureen and Bill converted it to its present use as a retirement home.
(Photo’s courtesy of Monmouth Museum & Wikimedia)